The English Library was opened 1st February 2002.
The English Library, along with the Austrian and German libraries is part of the Department of Foreign Libraries of the Education and Research Library of the Pilsen region. It acts on behalf of the British Council, which previously had a branch in Pilsen and with whom it works in close collaboration, including the organisation of Cambridge examinations in English. The library is an independent workplace of the Education and Research Library of the Pilsen Region (SVK PK) based at the Europa House on the Square of the Republic (náměstí Republiky 12). The complete stock of the EL can be found in the electronic catalogue. All services provided are subject to the SVK PK Library Regulations.
For application forms and issuing of user cards, visit the entrance hall of the SVK PK building at Smetanovy sady 2 during opening hours.
In addition to the standard library services, the English Library also offers circulation and on-site loans as well as providing users with the following technical support:
- video-player for watching films on-site
- audio equipment for listening to audio books and music
- seminar room for about 25 people with small tables. The room may be used free of charge for educational purposes focusing on teachers and schools, e.g. a sample lesson using video or other technical aids (if interested, please call and reserve a slot). The room may also be hired for various seminars or cultural activities.
- we organise exhibitions, seminars, authorial readings and other cultural activities
- hiring the video room – price list
Within the framework of on-site services, users may also avail themselves of the following:
- internet access
- access to the English Library catalogue
- copying facilities
- information service
- foreign database
These on-site services are offered in the calm and cosy atmosphere of a historical building, where you can enjoy sometime with a book or the daily press.
For further information, please call + 420 377 237 376.
- organises internationally recognised examinations, English courses in the United Kingdom, …
- provides information about possibilities of studying and travelling in the United Kingdom, as well as information and materials in English for teachers and students of the language